Student Learning Outcomes
- Articulate a Christian worldview as it applies to music and the arts.
- Interpret and appropriately use the basic vocabulary of music, including the elements of music (rhythm, melody, etc.), musical notation, and various musical styles and genres, both historical and cultural/national.
- Analyze the processes and apply the knowledge and skills necessary to create and perform music.
- Perform music with proper vocal or instrumental techniques, demonstrating understanding of such elements as tone quality, posture, breathing, phrasing, intonation, and stage presence.
- Demonstrate musical interpretation and expression appropriate for various historical periods, ethnic traditions, and compositional styles.
- Explain and apply criteria for evaluating music performances and compositions.
- Demonstrate facility in musicianship, including ear training, sight singing, keyboard proficiency, composition, and improvisation.
- Analyze and appraise the role of music and its impact on society within a variety of cultures and historical periods.
- Actively and intelligently listen to and discuss various types of music.
- Identify and explain connections between music and other aspects of life, including artistic, cultural, historical, political, social, and economic trends within the various social and cultural environments in which music is created and performed throughout the world.
- Identify and explain a variety of musical styles, genres, composers, and works—both historical and contemporary—within the Western art music tradition and from various regions and cultures of the world.
- In addition to objectives 1-4, students who successfully fulfill the requirements of the music education majorwill be able to demonstrate and apply pedagogical knowledge and skills appropriate to the teaching of music.
- Evaluate and apply appropriate teaching methods for K-12 music education (general, choral, and instrumental).
- Demonstrate facility with music technology appropriate for the school music program.
- Identify and apply techniques for assessing student aptitude and achievement appropriate to the school music program.