Van Namen Dutch Heritage Center
What is the purpose of the Dutch Heritage Center?
- To provide a place for the preservation of materials of historical value related to the culture, customs and institutions of Dutch heritage in the greater Chicago area.
- To develop a research base for the serious scholar interested in the history of the Dutch people in Chicago.
- To create exhibits of general information for the layman interested in Dutch origins and development in Chicago and the larger community.
- To promote a better understanding of all phases of Chicago Dutch relationships--past, present and future.
- To provide a general meeting place and coordinating center for those who are planning projects or discussion groups relative to the goals of the center.
Where is the Center Located?
The Dutch Heritage Center is located on the upper level of the library on the campus of Trinity Christian College in Palos Heights, Illinois. The rooms are beautifully and efficiently designed and are maintained with separate temperature and humidity control to ensure the preservation of its holdings.
Who May Use the Center?
Everyone is invited to use the collection whether they be scholars, students or the public. No fees are charged for research use of the collection. The Center is open by appointment only. For further information, or to to set up an appointment, contact the Library Director by calling 708.239.4797.
What Type of Material Does the Center Contain?
Onze Toekomst is now online at: http://kranten.delpher.nl/nl/results/index?coll=ddd&query=onze+toekomst
This weekly Dutch language newspaper was published in Chicago from 1894-1951. No issues prior to 1925 are known to survive. Onze Toekomst was a general newspaper, including sections devoted to Chicago neighborhoods (e. g., Roseland), the large Reformed and Presbyterian churches that served the Dutch immigrant community, outlying Dutch communities, marriage announcements and obituaries. Onze Toekomst reached a high of 3500 subscribers in the 1920s, and had extended its coverage to non-Chicago Dutch communities through regional correspondents. By the 1940s, three-quarters of the paper were in English, but even the final issues contain some Dutch material. After 1951 the title was changed to the Weekly Observer (later the Illinois Observer and the Church Observer) and the distinctive Dutch character of the paper ceased. A few issues from this period are included in the scanning project, which includes 217 issues covering 1925-1952.