Student Safety Tips
Residence Hall Safety
- Room doors should be locked at night and when the room is unoccupied.
- Valuable items such as stereos, audio equipment, cameras, desktop and laptop computers should be marked with engraving tools which can be provided by the security department at no charge.
- The majority of thefts that occur in residence halls happen when the residents are away with the door unlocked. Lock your door when you leave, even if it is just for a few minutes. Do not leave cash, credit cards, or checks in unlocked desks or cabinets.
- If you discover that your door or window does not lock properly contact maintenance at extension 4787 to report it.
- Don't leave exterior doors propped open when they should be closed. If you find one open, close it. If you see a suspicious person on campus call Campus Security at extension 3722.
- Keep doors locked, even when you are in your residence. Do not allow anyone in until you know who the person is at your door. If the person claims to be an maintenance or utility worker, verify that by asking for identification. People who have legitimate reasons to be there will not refuse your request.
- If you have an answering machine, do not put your names on your recording. If you and your roommates are female, consider having a male friend leaving your outgoing message on your machine.
- When out, walk with confidence; thieves often target those who appear hesitant or are unsure of themselves.
- When walking to your vehicle or residence have your keys ready so you will spend as little time stopped at the door.
TO REPORT A FIRE DIAL 9-911
Fire Safety is of paramount importance to everyone in the College community. In order to adequately safeguard lives, in the event of a fire all parties are required to evacuate the building, closing room doors behind them. Once outside, all individuals must move away from the building entrances. All fire alarms are presumed to be real. Residents are not to re-enter the building until instructed to do so by the Fire Department, a Security Officer, or members of the residence life staff.
The following are prohibited in the residence halls:
- Candles (even for decoration) and potpourri burners
- Storage of flammable material (including charcoal and lighter fluid)
- Halogen Lamps
- Storage that impedes access to rooms
- Microwave ovens
- Space heaters