College Celebrates President’s 10th Anniversary: Photogallery
Monday, 09 September 2013
The College celebrated the 10th anniversary of President Steven Timmermans, Ph.D. on Saturday, September 7, with an open house. Faculty, staff, and friends of the College enjoyed a time to personally thank the president and fellowship with each other.
During a brief ceremony in the afternoon, the College presented Timmermans with a beautiful photograph of his family and the news that the Trinity Board of Trustees has established, and funded via personal gifts, an endowed scholarship in honor of the president’s anniversary.
10 Years of Expanding and Extending
Timmermans began his presidency in 2003 with an idea, a vision to expand Trinity’s influence and extend its reach. Today he sees not only how that vision has been realized but also how it still applies to the future of the College.
A psychologist and educator, Timmermans came to Trinity with a deep commitment to Christ; an unwavering embrace of Reformed perspectives on faith, learning, and living; and extensive experience in rehabilitation, teaching, and administration.
Over the past 10 years, those qualities have helped Timmermans lead the College through times of abundance and times of economic downturn while his vision to expand and extend has come to fruition in several ways:
- Traditional enrollment has increased significantly, as has the percentage of diverse students
- The addition of master’s degree programs
- The addition of semesters in Ecuador and Kenya
- The number of endowed and outside-funded scholarships has nearly doubled
- Adult Studies enrollment has nearly doubled
- The expansion of the Adult Studies program into Chicago and Addison
- New facilities have been started or completed, including:
- Alumni Hall
- Bootsma Bookstore Café
- Art and Communication Center
- Elizabeth Meyer Memorial Student Health Center
- DeVos Athletics and Recreation Center
- George and June Schaaf Athletics Complex (Rt. 83 fields), which brings the total campus acreage to 130 acres
Of his service as the president, Timmermans said in a recent interview: “I am grateful that I have been able to help lead Trinity these past 10 years, and I trust God’s continued blessing on us—Trinity students, faculty, staff, alumni and friends.”