You have a passion
Middle Grades Education
A B.A. from Trinity will get you ready
At Trinity, we are small and mighty. And we know that exceptional students need exceptional teachers. Our classes are taught by professors who are experts in their subject areas. And with an 11-to-1 student to professor ratio, your professors will know you by name.
Trinity’s education department draws upon a Biblically-based perspective to prepare pre-service teachers to embody Christ-like servanthood. We help our students to cultivate relational peace, educational equity, and justice for all children and to impact the mind, body, and soul of each student through excellence in teaching. Our pre-service teachers exemplify professionalism and ethical behavior inside and outside of the classroom as they serve with excellence in education.
The middle grades education major leads to the Illinois Professional Educator License with middle grades endorsement (grades 5-8). At Trinity, you can focus your degree on English education; mathematics education; science education; or social science education.
Majors who desire endorsements in the middle grades (5-8) choose from one of the following:
- Two content area middle grades education minors• One content are middle grades education minor and double minor with ESL/bilingual
- One content are middle grades education minor and double major with special education
- One content are middle grades education minor and double major with elementary education• One content are middle grades education minor and double major with the same secondary (grade 9-12) content major
While at Trinity, your hands-on classroom experience includes:
- 200 hours of field experience (teacher aiding)
- 90 additional hours of novice teaching (pre-student teaching)
- A 16-week student teaching internship
Trinity is located just 25 miles from downtown Chicago, so your field experience, novice teaching, and internships can take place in a variety of classroom settings: urban and suburban, domestic and international, multicultural, special education, middle grades, public and private. Some of our students extend their experience much further and do student teaching and field experience around the country and around the world.